Wednesday, April 28, 2010

America: The New Soviet Union

I sent the following to a talk radio show in Portland, OR after listening to him discuss the new Arizona Immigration Law. Thought I'd forward it on to you. Let me know your thoughts.


My name is Jessica. I'm from Washington State, but currently live and work in Ukraine as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I teach English as a Foreign Language to University students. As a foreigner, I must say I agree with President Obama and all those opposed to Arizona's new law. It is terrifying to walk down the streets of Ukraine and be afraid to speak English to a companion or on the phone. Because as soon as I (we) do, we're stopped by the police and asked for our documents. We're harassed by the police in Ukraine on different occasions. They do discriminate against race, gender and, most especially, because I'm an American. It's an awful feeling and it saddens me to think that America may be becoming more like a post Soviet Union country with laws such as the immigration law in Arizona. There are other alternatives to the illegal immigration problem facing America, instead of treating everyone, citizens alike, as criminals.


Peace,

Jessica

to read about the new law visit: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us/politics/24immig.html

No comments:

Post a Comment