Friday, August 22, 2008

The Americans Have Arrived

I'm in Dumaguette City (spelling?). We arrived Thursday (your wednesday) and met our host family. I'm am so spoiled, because my host family is awesome. My host mother (Mama) is a retired dentist and owns two homes. She is single but can some how afford air con (AC), a shower, flushing toilet (big deal here) TOILET PAPER!!!!, and a washing machine. We also have a houseperson (maid) that does the laundry and cleaning. Mama cooks because she's a very cautious woman. I have a host sister, Raylynn. She is 24 and works in Publishing. Raylynn lives at home and will not move out until she is married. My host nephew is 4 and his name is Denzel. I really love my family. They are such warm and caring people. I have adjusted well, at least into the family. Not so outside of the balay (house). Still a lot of staring and pointing. Many men declaring their love and proposing. I take it all in stride. The people here are used to foreigners because of the college, but we still draw a lot of attention.     I begin co-teaching Tuesday and can't wait to begin. I look forward to telling you all about it. Oh, and I am no longer learning Tagalog. I am learning Visayan--the language of the Visayan island region. I know my site in 3 months will be around here somewhere. I wish I could stay in Dumaguette, but that will never happen. I am so in love with the Philippians and the people. Everything and everyone are so wonderful. I am truly in paradise. No really, I am. I have a cocunut and mango tree growing in my backyard! I would love to post photos, but it may not happen. It's been hard to find internet access for my lap top. Right now I'm in an internet cafe with a few of the other education volunteers. No Wi-fi here. It is not common. I have two little Filipino boys watching me type this blog. They are very cute. But I think everyone is about ready to leave and I don't know my way around well enough to find Junob (where I live) on my own. Hope all is well with everyone back home. Miss you. Siege, ayo ayo! (okay, take care)

More to follow...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess!!

    What a fabulous blog! I'll be sure to check back in often. Wishing you best of luck in your travels!

    -j

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jess!! =)

    So glad you're having a good time!! I've been thinking about you a lot. the Philippines sound a lot like when i was in India. I miss it so much. =)

    You're in my prayers and I love ya!

    ReplyDelete