Friday, May 1, 2009

Letter to Peace Corps

Hello everyone,

I recently sent in my letter to PC, describing why I would like to serve in another country. I thought I would add it to my blog. Enjoy!

When I applied for Peace Corps two years ago, I was filled with ideas as to what the program meant to me and how I could be an asset to Peace Corps. Now that I have served, I can honestly say my ideas were naïve, and I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into. Peace Corps is an incredible experience. It gave me the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and embrace a new me in a different element.

Serving in Peace Corps Philippines was the best four months of my life, even with the medical issues. I greatly enjoyed learning and exploring in my new environment. Because I was there for such a short time, most of my memories center around PST. My LCF became a great friend and a wonderful big brother as he taught us the language and culture we were now immersed in. I bonded quickly with both sets of host families, with Peace Corps staff, and with my fellow batch mates. In all honesty, my favorite part of my experience in Peace Corps Philippines was batch #267. We were all thrown together out of circumstance, became friends out of necessity, and became a family out of love. Although I was forced to leave the Philippines, I have not lost touch with my batch mates, host families or the schools in which I taught.

I wrote a detailed description of my service before I left the Philippines. Which included my responsibilities as a teacher and other information requested. Due to the fact that I was only an active PCV for one month, I did very little at site. I was still adjusting to my placement when I fell ill. While there, however, I managed to co-teach four upper-level courses in English. I wanted to know the strengths of my students regarding their English knowledge so I requested each of them to write a one page autobiography of themselves. They had two days to write the paper and then I read all 208 essays. I tried to focus on the majority of the issues I discovered—such as grammar, spelling and sentence structure. While at my PST site, I did the same with my students. I also had them, in groups, prepare a television broadcast to encourage them to speak. The students were very enthusiastic about these projects. My counterparts and I worked around the clock co-planning and preparing. We implemented the lesson plan together; each knowing what was expected of the other. Although we did have text books, they were severally lacking and I ended up creating most of my lesson plans from scratch. I was very thankful to have such knowledgeable counterparts to work with and who allowed me to experiment with the lessons. The students were always excited to play whatever “crazy English game” I invented for that lesson. My principals at both schools were impressed with the discipline I had in my classes. It wasn’t really that difficulty—once the students realized my expectations.

During PST, two other trainees and I lead an after school tutoring program twice a week. Some days we were more successful than others, as the student’s thought we were crazy asking them to stay after school. J But the popularity of our unorthodox way of describing lessons (i.e. acting out what DNA particles are,) soon increased our numbers. I also lead one workshop while at my permanent site encouraging the English department to work on reading comprehension in their classrooms. I presented a motivational speech on the benefits of reading to the 4,000 students at BayBay National High School. I was kept busy as the co-advisor for the nationally ranked journalism club at BNHS. And once a week I co-taught five creative writing classes to all age groups.

My students are amazing people, full of excitement for learning and a deep need to be accepted. I admit I was nervous as to how I would connect with non-American teenagers. However, it became startling obvious how similar all teens are. They wanted friendship, understanding, and a mentor. It was my great honor to be everything my students needed. It became obvious that my job was more than just teaching them English—although I did focus on pronunciation, grammar, reading comprehension, and speech (to name a few). We taught each other about our customs, beliefs, and cultures. I became friends with my students, playing basketball with the shy ones who were too nervous to participate in class, but who were enthusiastic on the court. A good teacher knows to use any resource available to them. I often referred to teaching in Peace Corps as “MacGyver teaching.” One had to be resourceful.  I was grateful for the care packages my family sent me, for I would often invert the boxes and use the cardboard to make flashcards or other teaching tools. I found the lack of materials a welcomed challenge, discovering new ways to teach, and most of all, to excite the students about learning. I tried my best to motivate the students so that they would want to come to my class each day and were happy to learn from me, just as I was very happy to be their educator.

In this statement I was asked to identify why I wanted to re-enroll. Below is an excerpt from a blog I wrote while in PC Philippines. I believe it adequately expresses my emotions.

“Yes We Can are three very important words to all Americans right now. Yes, we can make a difference. Yes, we can change the world. Yes, we can believe in our fellow man. And Yes, one act of kindness can create a domino effect of world peace. I will never forget where I was when I heard the most beautiful announcement of my life. Barack Obama is President of the United States of America! It was lunch time on Wednesday. All of the PCT’s were together, eagerly watching the results on CNN. Peace Corps staff was kind enough to project the newscast on the wall in the lunchroom. We had watched the results all morning on our laptops during sessions. When the happy news was announced we all cheered and jumped up and down. All of us hugged one another and there was not a dry eye in the house. I cried ridiculously hard. I’ve never cried over politics–but then again, I’ve never been more happy in my life or more proud to be an American. It was an incredible moment, and a memory I will forever cherish. What complimented that moment was my final step to becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer–my swearing in ceremony. The US Ambassador swore all 65 Volunteers in as the #267th PC group in the Philippines. I can’t begin to describe all of my emotions that day. I knew as it was happening that it was one of the most important moments of my life. That sixteen months of applying for the Peace Corps, two months of packing/preparing and three months of very intense training had finally paid off. I am now, and will forever be, a Peace Corps Volunteer. I am so excited, incredibly happy, overwhelmed and in awe of all the responsibility I have earned with my new title. I look forward to beginning my assignment in BayBay, Leyte. I look forward to all of my new experiences and adventures and I look forward to serving my new President as a PCV. Obama said Yes We Can! Our batch has adopted this mantra as our own. So stand up America! Yes We Can make a change and bring peace and prosperity not only to our country, but to the world. I will begin in the Philippines.”

Filipinos are such warm and giving people—it made falling in love with their culture and customs effortless. I had no intention of ever leaving early and was very disappointed and devastated that my health forced me to leave a place where I felt I truly belonged, and away from people I deeply cared for. I understand headquarters’ reasons as to why I may not return to the Philippines, but I sincerely ask that Peace Corps consider sending me to another country. I guarantee that it won’t be a mistake. For this time around, I am no longer a naïve trainee. I know how hard living away from your comfort zone can be, I understand the challenges facing me, I know what to expect—and I embrace it all. I look forward to everything I can do for Peace Corps, for the host country, and the ways in which this second experience will change me. I would like to serve again because I greatly respect and care about the three goals of Peace Corps. I would like the opportunity to finish what I originally began, and the new experience awaiting me.

If Peace Corps decides to deny me the chance to serve somewhere else I suppose I will continue to look for work. However, I have sent countless resumes and filled out many applications around the country, and have been rejected each time. With the current economy, it is becoming obvious that I cannot find work in America. My family has been very gracious, allowing me to live at home and lend a hand. I have voluntarily visited high schools when requested to talk to students about the advantages of Peace Corps after college. Besides visiting family and talking about Peace Corps, I have had little opportunity to do much else. I can’t seem to be able to find a job in America. There are several opportunities teaching over-seas that I will most likely take advantage of if Peace Corps denies me. Also, I would like to attend graduate school, but I’d prefer to be a RPCV with two years of experience before returning to school.  However, I may not have that opportunity and will wait until the economy is more stable before I take on the extra debt attending graduate school would create.

I am confident in my abilities to uphold the three goals of Peace Corps and I sincerely hope Peace Corps will give me the second chance I am requesting. If I serve in a country lacking in humidity my previous medical condition will not affect me again. I will do my best to remain healthy and will work hard for Peace Corps and my host country. I graciously ask for a second chance to serve my country again through Peace Corps as President Obama has encouraged so many Americans to do so. I know what an asset the program is and how it affects both the lives of the volunteer and those of the host country. I greatly wish to be a Peace Corps Volunteer again teaching English under the Education sector. The ideal placement would be in Africa or Eastern Europe, but as I said the first time I applied, I will serve wherever I am most needed. If that means returning to Asia, then I will do so with a smile and a spring in my step. Being a PCV is an honor—having the chance to make a difference—is a dream come true.

“We Can, we can make difference. With our hands together we can reach the whole world. We can, we can move a mountain. It’s all for one and one for all that keeps us strong.” –PCP #267

Note: If it is possible, I would like to be placed with my former batch mate, Heather Krause. If it’s impossible, that is understandable. But we both agree that there is no risk in asking. :-)  Thanks.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment